Saturday, February 21, 2015

Kids Away For a Week


It is summer here and schoolchildren are on vacation now. The four of us had recently returned from our one month long holidays at the beautiful U.S.A. We try to visit our friends and family there, at least, once every two years. I love this country and its people so much that it deserves another post. You can read about our trip to the World of Coca-Cola or how we stayed at Universal Studios Cabana Bay Resort or the visit to the Georgia Aquarium.

The thing is, we returned from this long vacation and my mom and dad were planning on going to Cordoba the week after our arrival. So, I thought how good it would be for my sons to spend a week with their grandparents in the mountains of northern Argentina. 

At first, I was hesitant to ask the boys because I would miss them too much. But then I realized that they are old enough, 8 and 10, and I really wanted to know how they felt about it . As soon as I asked I heard, to my surprise, two yeses. " Yes, I´m going" said the older one and "yes, me too" mumbled the youngest for whom the prospect of being away from his brother/entertainer/object of admiration! for a week seemed unbearable.  

The day my parents picked them up I was already regretting the idea.  However, soon I realized it was ridiculous. They were just going on a road trip with their grandparents. Besides, this is what was really going on there...







So I made a point of enjoying the time without them and boy did I enjoy!! My husband and I had the best time! Is it too bad to say such a thing? We had much needed dinner dates at home, my favorite thing to do! We watched grown up movies that had been waiting for us for a year (true!) We slept without interruptions of any kind, I mean the ones in which you wake up and go to their bedroom to check on them just because you are a parent. It was all good. I missed them but at the same time I had a relaxed week, especially knowing that they were having fun too.

I think these trips without mom and dad are so good for kids. They gain independence, a stronger sense of self and appreciation for the extended family and their own parents. 

As I was on the airplane to pick them up I thought of the African proverb that says: "it takes a village to raise a child" and how accurate it is.

Have you ever done this with your kids? or yourself as a child? How did it feel?


Post a Comment