Thursday, March 5, 2015

5 Simple Steps to Making Dulce de Leche



When we were living in Atlanta, GA I kept thinking that it would be a good idea to make this deliciously sweet treat that I could not get at the supermarket. Well, that day never came and I am still not making dulce de leche!!




These days I am back in Argentina and here you can get it at any market just around the corner. So this perfect excuse works like a charm for my unwillingness to spend 3 hours near a stove in the middle of summer! Don't get me wrong. I do enjoy baking a lot! And making dulce de leche is extremely easy. However, for this one recipe... I  will wait for lower temperatures to come this way.

Regardless, this is the recipe that I've been wanting to try.
Please let me know if you make it. I would love to hear about results and tips!

1. Pour 1 liter of whole milk, into a thick casserole pan. 

2. When the milk is warm add 250 cc/ 1 cup of sugar and stir.

3. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence and bring to a boil.

4. When bubbles start to appear add 1 teaspoon of baking soda (this gives the nice caramel color) and stir. Keep stirring through the whole process. You can put marbles on the base of the pan or a small plate so they can help you with the stirring process by moving while boiling.

5. Keep the heat to very low for 3 hours. Keep stirring if you didn't put the marbles in the pan!

Done! Wait until it cools down. You will end up with about a cup of dulce de leche. We love it with everything: bananas, slice of cheese, on toast, muffins, inside cakes or even by itself!




Did you know that in Argentina we credit the creation of dulce de leche to a housemaid who worked for a national hero (Rosas)? She forgot that she had left milk with sugar heating up in a stove. When she came back to the kitchen she found this sweet and creamy thing and called it dulce de leche. :)

Have you ever made dulce de leche? Do you like it?


P.S. Here is another way to make dulce de leche with condensed milk which seems extremely easy. The thing is that apparently it tastes different from the Argentine one! 












Post a Comment