Friday, March 13, 2015

School Run: Rise Early and Shine !!



Grabbing my cup of coffee, while serving breakfast for the boys, and getting backpacks ready, all in one wonder woman movement, is the thing I know I need to stay away from, like the plague, if I want to remain sane for the rest of the day. 

Whenever I overslept and then left the house without having breakfast (my favorite meal, by the way) and without spending some time reading, or doing something that I truly enjoy, I ended up feeling off for the rest of the day. I feel like somebody stole something from me that I can't get back. My time!

I recently wrote a post about "Don't sweat the small stuff..." a book that has been around for a while, that I recommend reading. In this book, there is a chapter about getting up early where the author says that many people find that "this one shift in their routine was the single most important change they have ever made in their lives. For the first time, they are able to participate in those quiet activities they never found the time to do. All of a sudden, the books are getting read, the meditation gets done, the sunrise is appreciated."  

This made me think that there may be more of us out there! :) Us being, those who desperately need to wake up earlier in order to have breakfast quietly, read or just enjoy the sunrise in order to be of any use during the day!



Forty minutes to an hour, before I wake up my 8 and 10 year old sons to go to school, is what works best for me. Having breakfast, quietly reading my favorite blogs or books or even the news on  my i-pad before anyone wakes up does wonders to my mood and energy throughout the day. After my quiet time, I can be fully present for my kids when they wake up, enjoy helping them with whatever they need, serve them breakfast, leave the house actually earlier and deal with traffic in a more relaxed state of mind.

The hour of sleep I could gain by waking up later doesn't compensate for my feeling off during the day. So, maybe if you are the type of person that needs more hours of sleep, going to bed earlier in order to enjoy your very own quiet time the next morning, doing things that you enjoy, could be something to consider? I find that this really works for me and for my family because they wake up to a calm and relaxed, smiling mum.

Do you need quiet time first thing in the morning? How do you avoid rushing during that time?


P.S. The school run beauty ally


Post a Comment