Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Patient Parents, Patient Kids: 3 tips








Are you patient with your kids? I thought I was...but it turns out I have to work at it everyday! I wrote a blog post about patience in general if you are interested, and how it is a skill that helps us navigate through life.

May I just say, that I've been practicing patience a lot ever since I became a mother. I feel like I've been receiving a crash course through my kids. They are the most beautiful, sweet, smart creatures on earth but they can sometimes be demanding! Although we teach them about the world and guide them as parents, we can learn a lot about ourselves while raising them.

For one, I tend to be the kind of mother that SHOULD refrain from doing things for them. I constantly struggle with waiting and giving them time and space to let them make mistakes if I ever want them to learn from simple life experiences. Also, sometimes, I am busy doing things and they come to me with requests that I can't fulfill at that specific moment, but I know they come with the best intentions without knowing how my train of thought goes. Which is: " if I don't make dinner now you will go to bed late, and then tomorrow you will have a hard time getting up early for school"...  I'm sure there are lots of similar moments like this during your day too. Here are three very easy concepts to steer us in the right direction and stop the above mentioned train of thought. :)

1) Seeing the innocence in their behavior is key, for us parents, to realize how our kids come to us because they love us. Richard Carlson explains this very well in his book Don't Sweat the Small Stuff. He says that there is no room for patience if you let your thinking follow the snow ball effect path where you end up stressed and anxious. He advises to see the innocence in our kids' requests for attention in order to be able to relax and truly exercise our patience. If you follow my blog, you'll know how much I liked this book. It was full of inspiring information!

2) Practice makes perfect. Apparently, it's all about being determined to be patient. At first, for 5 minutes, then 10 and before you know it you will be patient for a whole day, and so on.

3) Setting the example. Practicing patience regularly will give the best example to our little ones, who more often than not, mimic our behaviors. In turn, we will end up raising patient little people, who can take whatever life brings to them.

I say, let's all give this a try! What situations call for practicing patience in your daily life with your children? Do you have any ideas? Thoughts? Let me know in the comments!






Post a Comment