Wednesday, May 20, 2015

White Vinegar: The New Smell of Clean, 2 Ways.


A few years ago, when my boys used to dwell on the floor more than they did on a table, or a chair, I would clean floors twice a day, occasionally maybe three times. Neat freak? Of course! I'm sure you know the drill, especially if you are a toddler's mom!

Nonetheless, I didn't want them to be in contact with such a wide variety of harsh chemicals from the cleaning products I was using. However, at the same time I had to keep floors as close to germs free as possible.

After doing a bit of research I stumbled upon many websites that showed about a trillion uses of vinegar. One English website in particular caught my attention and I remember liking the concept of white vinegar being the "new smell of clean".

After reading about the benefits of cleaning with a natural deodorizer and disinfectant I knew I had found what I was looking for.

Since then, I am a convert to the new smell of clean = white vinegar + bleach + lots of water, in my case.

I use white vinegar 2 ways.

1) First, I wanted to tell you about the one cleaning recipe that my friends, and family have started using ever since I found out about it. Why? Because white vinegar in combination with diluted bleach kills more microbes than bleach alone.

Use it for floors, bathrooms, counter tops, and anything that needs unyielding disinfection. Just pour it out of a big plastic bottle for floors or spray it over your counter top. One warning though. Ventilate the area in which you are using this solution. Whenever you clean with this it's better practice to open your windows until it's dry.

Proportions.

  • Water: 5 Liters or 1.3 US gallons 
  • White vinegar: 45 milliliters or 1.5 US fluid ounces
  • Bleach ( household): 45 milliliters or 1.5 US fluid ounces

This way, I reduced the amount and variety of cleaning products I buy, and also got used to the idea that if it smells like white vinegar then it must be clean. After a while, the smell of vinegar dissipates and gives way to a disinfected scent, almost like a non-scent, without any strong odors. You simply see and feel that everything is clean.
























Get plastic containers of varied sizes to use in different parts of your home.






2) Did you know that if you add about a cup of vinegar to the last rinse cycle of your washing machine it will clean your washing machine and your clothes? It will leave them soft and fresh. No vinegar scent at all. Apparently, vinegar being a natural disinfectant can deodorize not only your home but also your clothes! Plus, because it changes the ph of water it acts as a softener and it leaves them as soft as the best softener in the market. Don't worry the smell of vinegar will not be present. Remember it's a deodorizer as well. 

These are my 2 ways of using vinegar. Do you use it at home? Leave a comment and let me know what I'm missing!

Thank you for reading!


P.S. 95 household uses for vinegar  (link to Reader's Digest)

Post a Comment