Wednesday, September 23, 2015

A Creamy Soup With A Story Behind It




Many years ago, we went to the countryside and spent the weekend at an old English residence. It was one of those idyllic/magical places with fireplaces in every room, wooden floors, and immense dinning rooms and living rooms. It had beautiful gardens with gorgeous flowers to admire, horses ready to be ridden, and the best cook! 

She made the most delicious soup the night we arrived. It was wintertime and we were all hungry after a rather long trip. When I went into the kitchen to thank her for such a warming and heavenly soup, she told me how to make it. I was amazed by how easy it was to prepare! 

Now that I have kids I recreate this creamy soup once every two to three weeks and they love it. 

You'll need

Broth. I make it with lots of tasty vegetables (one onion, corn, carrots, parsley, potato, sweet potato, half a squash, scallions, leek, red meat, salt and pepper) This picture on my Instagram illustrates the broth making...just add water!

1 big Squash. Steamed. You can use any kind: the one on the picture above or Japanese Squash, like the one below, which I used yesterday and turned out to be delicious as well.

One tip 


I, more often than not, have broth in the freezer to be used in last minute risottos or soups. I use my biggest cooking pot to make it in advance, put it in 2 or 3 containers, and store them in the freezer, ready for later consumption.

How to make it
  • Make a puree out of your steamed squash by adding salt and 1/2 tablespoon of butter or olive oil. Whatever you prefer. You can also make it with half a cup of cooking cream or even simply salt and pepper and if you, like me, love nutmeg, go ahead and sprinkle some too.   
  • Add puree to the broth and blend it all in with one of those hand held food processors. 
The result is this absolutely delicious and creamy soup. It really is a special one. Try it! and let me know?




What's your favorite soup?



P.S. Picky Eaters Approved: Veggie terrine and Savory Fish Pudding for Picky Eaters! 
  
Post a Comment