Monday, November 2, 2015

Anxiety Trick: An Ode to My Piano





Do you play any instruments? If you do, and if you struggle with anxious times, it may be a good decision to never stop playing them. This is what I "discovered". It's not rocket science, in fact, it's a very well known, and simple fact that is oh so true!

I've always known that I liked playing instruments. In fact, I consistently played the piano, the flute and the clarinet throughout my childhood and teenage years. 

There's something about music that makes you feel better. Berthold Auerbach explains this brilliantly:

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

It really does. I love playing the piano and listening to practically every instrument under the sun. I basically like all of the instruments! I enjoy good music a lot. However, for maybe less than a decade, I stopped playing the piano regularly. Life got in the way, I guess, until... 

Last month, it was a very anxious one for me. I wasn't feeling well, and suddenly, I had a huge light bulb moment. 

I remembered a paper I read in which aboriginal women were found to channel and alleviate their anxiety through manual labors. Sewing, cooking, painting, playing instruments, any type of emotionally rewarding manual task, that required the use of their hands, was found to improve their overall well being. My conclusion? I needed to play the piano again, like I used to, regularly. 

Music has been part of my childhood for a reason, I think. Apparently, without me even knowing, all this time, it had been working its magic and getting rid of the dust of my everyday life. So when I stopped the dusting...things got messy... and anxious.

I'm happy to report that it's been a blessing to have found my way back into this sweet and relaxing instrument. It surely does good things for my sensitive soul.

Do you follow me on Instagram? If you do, then I'm sorry, it means that you already are a victim witness of my piano playing :) 

Do you play any instruments? Have you always wanted to start playing an instrument but for some reason never did? Which one? Maybe it's time to listen to your inner voice? 




P.S. Don't sweat the small stuff and Cultivating well being, an antidote to anxiety 


Post a Comment