Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Mindfulness For When You Are Not Feeling OK




Today is one of those days for me. I've had a cold for the last 3 days and have been trying to "power through" it, as if it wasn't there. Though my stuffy nose, and sore throat, have been letting me know, loud and clear, that I do have a cold; I wasn't letting myself assume that, until I decided to look for a meditation practice for discomfort. 

After doing this UCLA meditation I realized I still have a looong way to go until I fully learn to apply mindfulness to my every day life. 

This particular meditation is simple, but powerful. It guides you to bring awareness to what you are feeling (in my case a stuffy nose that won't let me breathe normally) and helps you to let it be. Yes, the key is to let the discomfort be. That, was a breakthrough. I was expecting to get rid of the cold too soon. Sounds pretty obvious, but have you heard about big old denial? Well, it can be very powerful!

Somehow, trusting the process, and simply bringing awareness to what, and where you feel the difficulty in your body, is enough to help you feel OK with it, and also evaporates any traces of stress, or rush to get rid of it. (Go figure! ha!)

I hope you are feeling OK, and not in need of this meditation, but in case you do, give it a try! aaa....achooo!








2 comments:

Gretch said...

Aww get well soon!

Personally, I think it would be hard for me to just let the discomfort be. I hate pain and discomforts and I always try to relieve them :'( I hope you feel better soon!

GGmemochou.tumblr.com

Eclectic Alu said...

Hi Gretchen, tthank you! I'm better than yesterday, which is good! ha! I agree with you. Pain is a different ball game! The discomfort of a stuffy nose, I guess you know it'll go away eventually, so that I can take. Thank you!!!

Alina