Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Confessions of a Mental Health Professional Who Takes Selfies...



Have you ever taken a selfie in public? Were you self conscious, self aware, and maybe worried about what others would think? I have taken my fare share of selfies, and I did feel like that!

I even vlog in public for crying out loud. Ahh that's a tough one...turn your camera on, and all eyes will be instantly on you. At least that's what it feels like, that's how I (an introvert) feel. Even Zoella (the Queen of vlogging) admits to having a hard time filming in public!

I think that it all boils down to prejudice. People, especially older generations, tend to think that if you take a selfie, you must be "so full of yourself" basically you get the diagnosis in a matter of seconds: "Narcissist!" 

There are even renowned Mental Health professionals that firmly believe that Instagram is, at the least, not a good thing. I beg to differ.

I don't know if you know...but although I'm a Prof. Counselor, I have a background in Human Resources and Public Relations, and I think Instagram is a brilliant marketing tool. It can help you grow your business immensely if used smartly. You can even sell your products on Instagram. It's a genius app.

Instagram is also a great resource people use to connect with the world. I really really like it.  

I believe there's a misconception. It's not about the app. It's about the person that uses it. It's about balance. If someone struggles with self esteem related issues, or with highly narcissistic tendencies it'll show in every day life, at school, at work, at home, and on Instagram.

Nasa posts these impressive photos, Matthieu Riccard's (the Buddhist monk) does the same in his own way

Even the Police department at Reykjavik Iceland, one of my favorite accounts, owns an account on Instagram. Check it out if you haven't, I never thought a Police department could radiate joy!

       
I think that balance is key. Balance applied to everything we do is key. So why not apply it to Instagram and selfie taking?


I guess what I enjoy the most about Instagram is the mind opening factor, and that I have Insta friends that show me the world daily, and everything from the comfort of my own phone! 
 
 

No comments: