Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Would You Travel Alone?






I would and I did! I was 17 the first time I went to the US on my own. This time though I went to the UK and Spain.

As I sit comfortably at the airport waiting to board the plane that will take me back home I can honestly say I love traveling.

From the "What if I made a trip?" part to the going back home flight, I truly enjoy every bit of it. Actually one of my happy places is the airport. Yup, dreaded by many loved by few. I'm one of the lucky few! I absolutely enjoy the airport experience. I always want to arrive early so that I can relax, have a cup of coffee, and finally, la pièce de résistance: explore the duty free shop!

Today I savoured the “happy place” like never before. I left the hotel at 6 pm and although my flght leaves at 11:50 pm, I went straight to the airport. Ahh... those hours flew by. I'm about to board the plane any minute now. 

I've had enough time for perfume testing and chocolate buying. I also had a heavenly coffee + donut combo. 




But enough about my happy place. Let's talk about traveling solo.

Why Travel Alone?


1) It's liberating. 

You can literally do whatever you want. After all, there's only you there, so you better do that which only you feel like doing! Like visiting the Goop store in Notting Hill...

Literally, you can walk around Notting Hill streets all day long if you feel so inclined.









Or spend a whole afternoon learning how each and every painting came to be at the Museo del Prado in Madrid.



Or just listen to live street music 🎼in Barcelona's Gothic Neighborhood.





2) It's empowering. 

You are in charge of what, when, where, and how regarding absolutely every single event during that trip. Empowerment and responsibilities go hand in hand though, meaning there's nobody there to remind you of important check out times, flights and hotel reservations. Totally doable if you ask me. Just keep good track of those specific things and problem solved.

Did you arrive on a Kings Day in Barcelona and the taxi cannot reach your hotel because streets are closed and there's people everywhere watching the Parade? You walk baby...yes with all the luggage. 



But then again, keep in mind that on the plus side you can take the ultimate #ootd photo at Kensington Palace without potentially being frowned upon by fellow family members...




3) Adapt, learn, and evolve

Challenges, unforseen circumstances or last minute changes can happen. A great way to learn and improve. 

If you tend to be more of an extrovert you might feel a bit lonely at times but you can always hire a guided tour, meet fellow travelers and chat away. Regardless of where you go I'm pretty sure you'll find a wide array of tour modalities available.

4) No need to plan too much or follow a schedule. 

Just wake up, and ask yourself what you feel like doing that day over breakfast. "Yourself" can be very kind with you and will do whatever you prefer. 

Me: "I should go to Harrods".

Also me: "Definitely, Harrods it is!"

I didn't have to even make a point of it being decorated for Christmas or anything of the sort. 



5) Know thyself. 

You learn a lot about YOU while traveling solo. You discover what you really enjoy sans the kids, husband, significant others, etc.

Have you ever traveled alone?

P.S. This is me and myself in Barcelona talking about traveling alone and about my interview with Balance Psychologies. The Interview will be a three video series coming up next week on my YouTube channel! Please do subscribe so you don't miss this series. It's going to be awesome.







No comments: